Why Choose High Security Keys?
High security keys and locks can significantly reduce the chances of a break in. Whilst installing an alarm or CCTV can be reassuring, the right locks can physically prevent intrusion.
As MLA approved high security locks installation experts in North London we find that many customers opt for both high security locks and keys. It is a particular trend in affluent areas such as Hampstead, Highgate and Muswell Hill as well as in areas with higher crime rates such as Islington and Camden.
Some of the main reasons we get emergency lock change calls are because the customer has either;
a) Lost a key
b) There is a possibility a key has been duplicated by a stranger
Which keys can’t be copied?
Getting a standard key cut is an easy process. A builder or general tradesperson can easily duplicate a key at the local shops. It is quite concerning.
Having a high security key for your front door means only authorised key holders can get their keys cut.
What are High Security Keys?
I’m am often asked what is a high security key and why is it more secure? A high security key is one that can’t easily be cut by just anyone. High security key types fall into two categories Patented or Restricted. Patented keys are the preferable choice.
What is a Patented Key?
- Patented keys can only be cut by an authorised dealer
- The customer may be asked to show identification to prove that they are the property owner. (This is quite often a card that is given to the customer when the lock is fitted.)
- Legally only the owner in possession of ID can request patented keys to be cut.
- These provide the highest level of security.
Well known patented key brand names are; Mul-t-lock, Evva, Banham, Bio-lock, Grundman and there are many more.
What is a Restricted Key?
- A restricted key can only be cut by an authorised dealer. This makes it very difficult for the keys to be copied by a stranger.
- Restricted keys are not protected by law in the same way that patented keys are.
It is advisable to have some type of high security key. We highly recommend them for front doors.
At IKS Locksmiths we fit Mul-t-lock locks and cut high security Mul-T-Lock keys in our online key cutting shop. Customers are given a card and when additional keys need duplicated they can contact us. Orders can be placed on line and we send copies of keys by post. We operate a UK wide key cutting service.
IKS are Barnet based Master Locksmiths. We are experienced in fitting high security locks and keys, keyed alike locks and master key systems. We find there is a high demand for high security solutions in North London. If you are based in London call us for a free quote to upgrade your property security.