High Security Door Locks – Luxury or Necessity?
We are professional locksmiths experienced in everything from UPVC door mechanism replacement to installation of high security locks, grilles and safes. Here I explain the difference between high security locks and standard locks.
What are High Security Locks Anyway?!
High Security is a term that is used a lot in my line of work as a locksmith in North London . My customers often ask me what high security means when it comes to high security locks for homes. There are a number of factors that need to be considered when it comes to high security residential door locks.
If you want to achieve High Security you should consider the type of keys as well as the type of lock. You can have;
- A high security door lock without a high security key
- A high security key without a high security door lock
- A high security door lock with a high security key
The latter option being the most high security option.
High Security Locks
The factors that make a lock “high security” are as follows;
- The lock offers optimum security to your specific property
- The lock that has been officially tested by a respected security product test house such as Sold Secure www.soldsecure.com owned by the Master Locksmiths Association.
- The lock is well fitted by a qualified professional locksmith
UPVC doors and Timber doors require different lock types.
UPVC High Security Locks
The type of lock required for a UPVC door is a Euro cylinder.
To be classed as high security the locks must be;
- Anti-snap Read our post about lock snapping.
- Tested to the latest British Standard TS007:2012
- Hold no less than a 3 star British Standard rating or Sold Secure Diamond rating.
You can see the locks that are Diamond Approved by Sold Secure here.
When it comes to high security locks for doors as a general rule a timber door and the locks for timber doors offer greater levels of security than a UPVC door. I will explain exactly why.
Timber Door High Security Locks
There are different types of high security locks that can be used for timber doors;
- Chubb locks
- High security cylinder locks (as above)
- Night latches
For a timber door lock to be classified as a “high security door lock” it must carry the British Standard 3621 kite mark. This is the minimum requirement for most insurance companies.
To conclude, it probably won’t surprise you to hear that in my opinion as an experienced locksmith security is paramount and is a basic necessity. So to answer the question “Are high security locks a luxury or a necessity?” I certainly wouldn’t class the safety and security of my family as a luxury. The first thing I did when I moved into my home was to install high security locks with high security keys! I wouldn’t sleep otherwise.
At IKS Locksmiths we are well known for fitting high security residential locks in Barnet and the surrounding areas. There is great demand for high security solutions in areas close to where we are based such as Hadley Wood and Arkley and across the North London area. We are MLA approved specialists in residential and commercial locks. Should you require high security front door locks or a general security survey of your property we would welcome the opportunity to visit your property and carry out a free security survey.