What the Master Locksmith Association Means to Me
Before becoming a Locksmith I was unaware of the Master Locksmith Association and the importance of it to the general public. For those who, like myself, were unaware of the MLA I would like to share with you just what the organisation means to me as an individual and a local MLA approved locksmith.
What Is The Master Locksmith Association?
The government have no legislation when it comes to Locksmiths. Therefore it is down to the Master Locksmith Association as the only recognised national Locksmith Association to promote ethics and morals within the industry. Read our guide on How to Choose a Locksmith.
The MLA is the only British Locksmith Association that guarantees that the members are;
- Fully Qualified
- CRB Checked
- Regularly Vetted
Only through the Master Locksmith Association can a Locksmith become officially licensed. Becoming an MLA licensed Locksmith is not for the faint hearted. It takes significant dedication which not every Locksmith is prepared to commit to.
As soon as I joined the MLA I experienced the benefits of being part of this well respected organisation.
The benefits of becoming an MLA Member (before qualification)
I have been a member of The Master Locksmiths Association since I started my apprenticeship with Woodside Locksmiths.
The benefits were obvious to me as soon as I joined;
- Becoming part of a team of experts who I am always learning from.
- Attending monthly meetings where I learn of the latest industry developments, new products and tools.
- A wealth of knowledge and experience in the room at meetings. There is always time to chat at the end of the meeting.
- The MLA forum is a valuable source of information from Lockmsiths across the UK with a community feel.
- Great advice on how to tackle the British Locksmith Institute (BLI) exam to become a qualified Master Locksmith.
- Attending the MLA Expo exhibition which is Europe’s largest locksmith and security exhibition is another valuable source of information and means of staying at the forefront of the industry.
The benefits of becoming an MLA Qualified Locksmith
If you would like to become a qualified master locksmith or find out more about what is involved you may find it useful to read my post on how I became a fully qualified Master Locksmith.
With gaining the MLA qualification came more benefits for my career;
- The process ensures you have a solid base of knowledge with which to confidently start a career as a Locksmith.
- Becoming qualified definitely gave me a new found confidence.
- Access to discounts helpful when starting as a self employed locksmith.
The benefits of becoming a MLA approved company
On starting my own Locksmith company my primary aim was to gain the status of MLA Approved Company. The significance of this was to bring yet more valuable benefits;
- A company listing in the MLA website has brought a lot of work my way. http://www.locksmiths.co.uk/find-a-locksmith/iks-barnet-locksmiths/
- Displaying the MLA Approved Company logo on my vans, website and other marketing material has given me and my business undeniable credibility.
- The police recommend using only MLA approved Locksmiths.
I can honestly say that deciding to become MLA qualified has been one of the best decisions I have made as a company providing 24 hour emergency locksmith services in Barnet and the surrounding area. Of course this was a decision that was influenced by my mentor Albert. I would like to thank Albert for steering me in the right direction and the MLA for all the support they have given me over the years.
Martin (The North London Locksmith)
Post updated in Feb 2021