Top 5 Money Saving Residential Security Tips
In my job as a property security locksmith in North London I come across some situations where a break-in couldn’t have been avoided but I also tend to come across many situations where a break in could have easily been avoided. The same issues occur time and time again. I often think that had that customer known what I know they could have avoided that situation, the distress and the expense. These are the avoidable situations which I most commonly encounter.
The Top 5 Situations Where Locksmith Bills Could Have Been Avoided
- Locks fitted incorrectly by an inexperienced locksmith.
- Customers ripped off by a rogue locksmith.
- Out of date security because the security in the property has not been addressed.
- Break-ins where security has been compromised in some way.
- Situations where burglary occurs and the insurance company will not pay out because the requirements laid out in their policy have not been met.
Burglary in London is all too common! So in an attempt to help my customers avoid unfortunate events I have compiled a list home security tips.
IKS Locksmiths Top 5 Money Saving Residential Security Tips
1) Have your property surveyed by a qualified Master Locksmith. IT’S FREE! Well at least it should be a free service with most reputable locksmiths. You will be provided with recommendations to ensure that your property security meets British Standards and Insurance Requirements. This leads me to my next point…
2) Check your insurance policy to ensure you are meeting the requirements and make sure you read all the small print. Otherwise your policy will be invalid and your payments will have been made in vain.
3) Familiarise yourself with our ultimate security guide to ensure that you are not making mistakes which could attract burglars and make their job easier. A few top security tips could make all the difference.
4) Ensure that you change the locks if you have just moved into your property or you feel that your security may have been compromised in some way. It’s really not worth the risk. Too many people get caught up in other aspects of a move and neglect security. It needs to be addressed on the day you move. Consider who may potentially hold a key to your home. Read our guide to Security for home movers.
5) Regularly maintain your locks to save on locksmith bills. Locks need just a little TLC every few months to keep them working smoothly. Why pay a locksmith to repair your locks when you can avoid it! Click here for our guide to taking care of your locks.
It may sound like I am talking myself out of work but I would much rather visit a customer to offer locksmith security advice and ensure their locks are up to scratch than visit them because they have been burgled.
IKS are a home security specialist locksmith covering North London and the surrounding areas. Please follow us on Facebook for our regular blog posts on all things security related. Our blog is packed with security tips, advice and ways to save money. Find out Should you change your own locks? Or you may be interested in our Diary of a North London Locksmith posts which give an insight into my life as a Master Locksmith.
Another interesting article on the subject of “Top Residential Security Tips” is this one from the Master Locksmiths Association of which we are proud members.
If you would like my advice on any aspect relating to home security installation in London or would like to take advantage of our free security survey we would be delighted to hear from you. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch.