The Best Ways to Protect Your Home When on Holiday
You may be jetting to sunnier climates or off to spend a week with family somewhere closer to home. Wherever you go it’s always great to have a change of scenery and break free from the routine of everyday life! It’s also easy to get carried away and forget that when you are going on holiday you need to plan how to protect against home invasion! When you have thought about how to protect your home and put a plan into action you can really relax in the knowledge you will come back to the place as you left it. As an emergency burglary repairs locksmith this is at the forefront of my mind when I go on holiday.
Our Ultimate Burglary Prevention Guide covers everything that you need to know about protection against home invasion. When going on holiday you may want to refer to the tips on being mindful when leaving your property empty.
For some clever and perhaps unusual ways to protect your home, spending little or no money, read this post on cheap ways to keep burglars at bay. It’s worth a read!
To simplify the matter for you I have compiled a list.
Top Ten Ways to Protect Your Home
When on Holiday
- Ask a neighbour to open and close your curtains when you are away.
- Ask neighbours to keep an eye out for anything suspicious (Make sure those neighbours know who you have asked to go into the property)
- Have a light and radio on a timer
- Hide your valuables with creative care.
- Don’t cancel the post, this could be a give away to someone watching for changes.
- Don’t leave a spare key outside (you’d be surprised how many people do!)
- Be discreet when packing you suitcases into the car.
- Don’t let deliveries of milk, newspapers etc mount up on the door step.
- Don’t broadcast your movements out loud or on social media.
- Last but certainly not least – have a qualified locksmith confirm that your locks are insurance approved – otherwise your insurance is worthless.
The crime prevention website has quite a useful detailed checklist you may want to use.
Should you need any further information on ways to secure your home when you are on holiday I would be happy to survey your property and give you my recommendations for you individual circumstances.
IKS Locksmiths are MLA Approved North London Locksmiths with knowledge of both residential and commercial security. Being mobile we are competitively priced and aim to tailor security requirements to the individuals needs. Don’t hesitate to call us for a free security survey.