Finchley Crime and Security Overview
I am a Master Locksmith who has grown up in North Finchley. I spent my primary school years in East Finchley before moving to North Finchley and as an adult I have lived in West Finchley and Finchley Central on Long Lane, near Victoria Park. To say I am familiar with the area is an understatement.
Of course in my time as a locksmith I have seen a whole new side to Finchley, an unfortunate side. I have gained a real insight into the crime that occurs in the area.
As an emergency locksmith I have become aware of;
- How burglars tend to break into properties in the Finchley area
- What burglars are looking for
- The effects that a burglary has on a home or business owner
Most Common Burglary Methods in the Finchley Area
The emergency call outs I attend in the Finchley area are usually due to burglar access though;
- Lock snapping – common with PVC door locks
- Open or broken windows
- Forced entry
This is an image of a snapped lock at an emergency call out I attended in North Finchley.
Read here for more details on how burglars access properties and how to prevent this from happening to you.
Finchley and Golders Green Crime Statistics
This Chart from UK Crime Stats shows the burglary rates in Finchley and Golders Green from February 2017 and January 2018.
As you can see from this chart in the last year there have been no less than;
- 1,193 Burglaries
- 1,352 Vehicle Crimes
- 2,003 Violent Crimes
- 2,331 Incidences of anti social behaviour
Unfortunately there is little sign of the figures decreasing.
You can find statistics specifically for East Finchley from the Police website here and a crime map for East Finchley.
This article in the Standard Newspaper in 2013 pinpointed North Finchley as being among the worst burglary hotspots in the UK. It took 3rd position! The burglaries recorded here in the Crime Stats for N12 show a small decrease in the rates. Which begs the question how can we really make a significant dent in the Finchley burglary rates?
How We Can Reduce Burglary Rates in Finchley
In my view the way to prevent burglary is to focus on ensuring that properties have the optimum security possible. It is so important that physical security is made a priority. Alarms are a useful deterrent but can’t prevent intruder access. The options to increase security levels are many. An experienced, qualified, MLA Approved Locksmith will be able to offer you the best advice. Read here about Why you Should Choose an MLA Approved Locksmith.
How to Maximise Security Levels
- The Best Locks – This is the first port of call. It is important to update locks throughout a property on all doors and windows. Read here about The Best Locks.
- Lock Change – it is so important that you change any locks which someone else could possibly have a key for. Read our guide to When to Change a Lock here.
- Door Reinforcement – a qualified locksmith will be able to tell you what is available and what is required, whether it be a Birmingham bar or London bar or reinforcement on the door itself with a lock guard.
- Security Grilles or Shutters – these offer exceptional door and window security and are the ultimate burglar deterrent, both physically and visually.
- Safes – these are a good precaution in the event that a burglar does access your property somehow.
For further advice on how to avoid burglary in Finchley, or in any London area, read our Ultimate Guide to Burglary Prevention. You may also be interested in how to Get Inside the Mind of a Burglar and React. The security measures required for your property will all depend on your individual needs and advice from an expert is imperative.
If you live in another part of London and would like to know your local burglary rates click here.
If you are looking for a 24 hour East Finchley Locksmith or North Finchley Locksmith we are local 24 hour emergency locksmiths and will be awaiting your call! At IKS Locksmiths we provide a quick response and extremely competitive rates in Finchley and the surrounding areas. Most importantly we provide an excellent service with only high quality products and workmanship. So if you need a local Emergency Finchley Locksmith save our number or
Image Courtesy of David Howard